Monitors vs Projectors: Which One Is Better for Businesses and Why?
Table of Content
- II. Monitors
Monitors vs Projectors: :
Rapid advancement in technology has revolutionized the workplace. Now our workspaces have countless gadgets and devices that play a key role in enhancing the productivity of the work and improving the resource efficiency of the organization. The digitalization of businesses, particularly in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic, has further accelerated the adoption of multiple IT devices. Out of all these gadgets, flat screen monitors and portable projectors have become the inevitable requirement of every organization, no matter the nature and field of its operation. These display solutions have been employed for a host of tasks like conducting meetings, conferences, and workshops and displaying information during corporate meetings, and many more. This self-evident importance of display solutions has given rise to a dilemma for many businesses regarding which display solution- monitor or projector- is the most preferable option. In this blog, we will attempt to clarify this confusion by discussing the specs that should be there in monitors and projectors for accomplishing business tasks and highlighting their positives and negatives as well.
Monitors have become a very important aspect of task management and accomplishment. The quality of monitors does have an impact on the overall working efficiency of employees and eventually the productivity of the workforce. Restricting our debate to the monitors deployed exclusively for different business operations, we recommend the following specs:
Screen space is one of the most important specifications you would have to factor in while purchasing monitors. The too small screen would cause strain to your eyes and too large would be hard to fit on your desks. For business uses, a 24-inch screen size would be enough to carry out ordinary tasks, but if you are looking for more screen space, go for UltraWide monitors. They would give you 33% more space.
The higher the resolution, the sharper the images. There could be multiple resolution standards available in the market like full HD(1080p), Quid High Definition(QHD), 4K, and even 5K. It is generally recommended that for ordinary tasks, like sending email, browsing the internet, viewing pictures, or working on spreadsheets, full HD would be sufficient. But for photo and video editing, 4K resolution would be required. Hence, if your office is manned by graphic & web designers, you would need monitors having 4K resolutions.
Refresh Rate is an indication of the number of frames displayed on the screen per second. It is measured in Hz. For instance, a 120Hz monitor displays 120 new frames per second. The higher the refresh rate, the faster the images are updated and refreshed. Monitors having a higher refresh rate would make everything on screen- moving the cursors, dragging windows, or running applications- feel better. Under normal circumstances in a workspace, 60Hz monitors would be sufficient enough to meet your requirement. But if you are looking for smoother-looking screens and a quick remedy for eyestrain, 120Hz Monitors would help you meet these objectives. No need to invest massively for 144Hz or 240Hz, because that would be a waste of resources.
Monitors are equipped with multiple panel types like VN (Vertical Alignment), IPS (in-plane- switching), and TN (Twisted Nematic). As far as business application and suitability are concerned, VN is recommended for workspace because it is known for giving the best contrast and image depth.
These are some important specs that should be given due importance before final purchasing the monitors that best fit your business requirement. But like every technology, monitors have some distinct advantages and disadvantages in comparison with other display solutions like projectors.
5- Advantages of Monitors:
- They can easily be connected to every kind of computer system;
- They provide a crisp display that ensures the sharpest image no matter how much light is in the room or where they have been installed. Since they emit their own light with the help of LEDs, they don’t need any dimmed environment to display quality images;
- They can provide a dual monitor configuration that makes multiple displays possible, thereby reducing delays caused by window and application switching. It can help increase the productivity of the work
- Monitors generally have a larger lifespan; some even remain functional for more than 100,000 hours. That makes them lucrative for businesses that can afford their upfront high price;
- They don’t require much maintenance because LEDs are not prone to damage anymore due to modern technology.
- They have widescreens that provide better image quality in contrast with the prolonged ones provided by projectors. 21:9 widescreen aspect ratio would help you work at different tabs simultaneously which is certainly an important aspect in the perspective of working.
- Effortless tilting back, front, or sideways or sliding down and up makes monitors ideal for working.
6- Disadvantages of Monitors:
- Monitors lack mobility; they are heavy and hard to move.
- They have fixed resolution and other features. Users can do nothing except content on what he gets.
- Monitors incur high costs in comparison with projectors particularly if you are looking for excellent color accuracy, 4K resolution, and other high-end features.
- Though traditional monitors were used to be equipped with protective material, modern-day monitors are not. Resultantly, they are very fragile and prone to physical damage of various kinds.
Owing to portability, screen sizes, and other factors, projectors have become an integral part of the modern workplace irrespective of the nature and scope of businesses. Projectors should have some features to cater to the business requirement of corporations:
The projectors should support a wide range of devices in the market otherwise it would be hard to install and require a longer set-up time. In this regard, dual HDMI ports for high definition videos, USB ports, built-in wireless connectivity, Chromecast or Miracast-based support for screen mirroring for establishing secondary display, VGA connectors, MHL connections for mobile, tablets, or other devices, VGA connectors, Composite or RCA connections should be the features of the projectors you are going to purchase. If projectors cannot be connected to your network, it would not be much use for your workspace.
Like in monitors, the resolution should be the deciding factor as well. But if you intend to use projectors for ordinary presentations lower VGA resolution (640 × 480) would be enough to provide sufficient clarity to read text, view images and perform other basic tasks. But if you plan to play videos, full HD resolution would be able to meet your expectations of having on-screen details for video content without incurring expenses of 4K projectors.
3-Easy and Faster Set-Up:
The alignment of images can become a serious headache or potential source of embarrassment if your projectors are not equipped with alignment-correcting add-ons. For instance, wide-manual zoom, horizontal image slider, and keystone corrections to ensure the image adjust to a 16:9 aspect ratio should be part of your projectors.
4-Advantages & Disadvantages of Projectors
Like monitors, projectors also have some drawbacks as well as benefits:
- In comparison with monitors, projectors offer low-cost display IT infrastructure.
- They don’t occupy much space. They can be mounted on a bookcase, a shelf, or even on the ceiling.
- The screen mirroring provided by projectors can provide a secondary display without any additional expenses. In the case of monitors, an additional monitor has to be purchased to experience this which is certainly an expensive undertaking.
- They can provide a very large screen size. Projectors can throw as big as a 300-inch screen which is easily scalable to adjust the needs.
- The downside of projectors is that they require a darker environment to give a better image experience.
- Secondly, there are also surface-level issues.
Some words about Morgan Ingland Ltd:
Morgan Ingland Ltd provides cost-effective display solutions. Our inventory has the widest range of both projectors & monitors. Ultra-Wide monitors, interactive displays, touch screen monitors, gaming monitors, 4K monitors, 144Hz monitors, pc monitors, curved monitors, and more are some noteworthy monitors type we provide. Similarly, we pride ourselves in offering a full portfolio of projector solutions for our valued customers including but not limited to 4K projectors, portable projectors, laser projectors, smart projectors, and associated accessories like projector stand and filters. We assure you of cost-effectiveness and top-notch monitors & projectors IT hardware and services. Feel free to contact us.
- Hardware (12)
- Desktops or Workstations (3)
- Wireless Access Points (1)
- Tablets (1)
- Notebook (1)
- Storage & Backup (4)
- UPS (3)
- Networking (8)